Dear Colleagues, Fans, and Friends:
I’m told that the biggest thing that can be done to help get my novels noticed is to get more reviews posted on Amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com. These are most helpful.
With that said, most readers don’t bother, and some of you are getting frustrated with how to do it, especially on Amazon. This is a “cheat sheet” to make it easy and safe for you to post reviews.
Barnes and Nobel is the easiest to use, but the site can be slow to respond so be patient. All you need is an account there, which is free. B&N has one other major advantage. You can post anonymously.
That best protects you from trolls. Thriller novels like mine are NOT politically correct, so trolls may lurk. There is a lot of that in CyberSpace.
Both sites have “help links” with guidelines. Both sites are encrypted to allow secure purchases. I personally think short reviews are best, perhaps 20 to 50 words, but some on Amazon are much longer. It is the number of “stars” that matters.
Here is how to post a review on Amazon:
- You must have purchased goods (~ $50.00/year) from Amazon and have an open account with them. If you have not spent money there and given them a credit card, you can’t post reviews.
- Go to my Author’s Page on Amazon and sign in there with your Amazon user name and password. To find my Author’s page, just search Amazon under Books for “John Trudel.” A search for “John D Trudel” works too. I am the Trudel with only one “l.” [Barnes and Noble does not host Author’s pages, but the same search will display all my novels there too.]
Note: Alternately, you can search on either site under books for “<book title> Trudel” – that works, as does this link. (http://amazon.com/author/johntrudel).
- Scroll down and click on my Book’s title. You can do one review for each book.
- That opens a screen. Click on the gold BUTTON that says, “Write a Review.”
- Many people prefer NOT to have their real names floating around in Cyber Space where nasty Trolls lurk. You can Set or Change your “public name” by clicking the box at the upper right of this screen. Using a pseudonym is probably best.
- Here’s the step that matters the most: Click on the number of stars. 5-stars helps a lot. Anything under “4-stars” hurts books like mine which have high ratings.
- The default is a written review. (Some upload videos and pictures.) All you have to say is 20 words, but you can say more if you wish. What you say is up to you.Then pick a title for your review and fill that in.
- Click on, “Preview your review.” You can edit as much as you wish. And, when you are happy with what you said, click on the button that says Publish Review.